Graduate programs Faculty of law

You are here: About TU Law

History

The Faculty of Law of Thammasat University is the oldest law school of Thailand. Its main campus is located within the old city of Bangkok and surrounded by historical sites as well as tourist attractions including the Grand Palace. Overlooking the Chao Praya River, the main campus offers a magnificent view. Historically, the Faculty’s life started in 1897 when His Royal Highness Prince Rajaburi, the Oxford-educated Founder Father of Thai Law, established the first law school of the country within the Ministry of Justice. In 1933, this law school was merged with the Public Administration School of Chulalongkorn University and became the Faculty of Law and Political Science.

Then, in 1934, under the new political regime of constitutional monarchy, this Faculty was transferred to Thammasat University (at that time named “The University of Moral and Political Science”). Subsequent division of law and political science has given rise to what is the Faculty of Law nowadays.

http://www.jrank.org/